Donald Trump Gives Handouts to Big Oil, at the Expense of the Economy and Public Health.
In 2017, Trump repealed the Obama administration’s Clean Power Plan (CPP), which would have prevented up to 3,600 premature deaths
(19) asthma attacks in children, and 1,700
(20) heart attacks each year each year by lowering pollution from power plants. The CPP was remarkably popular
(21) with companies and investors, and 365 companies (including Amazon, Google, Microsoft, eBay, Nestlé and General Mills) urged
(22) Trump NOT to repeal the legislation, as the CPP would provide them with more, cheaper, energy options. Moreover, the Department of Energy has concluded
(23) that the CPP could reduce consumer energy costs. Trump’s plan
(24) to replace the CPP, according to his own EPA, will cause more than 1,400
(25) additional early deaths and 48,000
(26) new cases of asthma each year due to higher levels of air pollution.