Trump Mishandled the Covid-19 Pandemic, Resulting in into Economic Decay.
Rather than taking swift, decisive action, by implementing a testing regime, a coordinated national response, and invoking the Defense Production Act, President Trump dithered
(24), and denied that Covid-19 would surpass fifteen cases, saying "it will just go away"
(25). He was anxious
(26) to lift lockdowns and reopen the economy, ignoring
(27) reopening guidelines from the CDC, as well as a survey of leading economists, 80%
(28) of which argued that “abandoning severe lockdowns” too early would lead to even greater
(29) economic damage; 88%
(30) believed there would need to be massive restrictions on economic activity in order to get the outbreak under control. As of May 8, 2020, non-farm payroll employment fell by 20.6 million
(31), and the unemployment rate jumped by 10.3% to 14.7%
(32)--the highest its been since the Great Depression. Moreover, the the Trump administration has refused
(33) to share the recipients of $500 billion in Paycheck Protection Program bailout money, hiding who is really profiting from these funds.