The Trump administration enacted major spending cuts
(1) and eliminated programs
(2) which predominately benefit women. These cuts
(3) range from subtracting $403 million from health profession and nurse training programs, eliminating support for V.A. caregivers of wounded soldiers, a $50 million reduction in funding for the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program, and kicking “160,000 children out of Head Start programs [which will] kill jobs for 40,000 people”.
In his career
(4) before running for President, Joe Biden began several major programs which predominately benefit women. In 1994, Biden wrote the Violence Against Women Act
(5), which many experts credit “with contributing to a dramatic decrease in the rate of domestic violence in the United States". Through the Affordable Care Act
(6), Biden also helped stop insurers from charging women up to two or three times more than men for identical health policies.
Under Trump, the Department of Health and Human Services announced
(7) that it would not enforce regulations banning discrimination based on gender identity. Similarly, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) now allows discrimination against transgender people in HUD-funded homeless shelters. The Department of Education has announced it will immediately dismiss all complaints from transgender students “based solely on gender identity discrimination”.
As President, Biden would enact the Equality Act, which will “guarantee that LGBTQ+ individuals are protected under existing civil rights laws
" (8). Biden will retract policies
(9) from the Trump administration that do not allow anyone that is transgender or HIV-positive from serving in the military. Biden will also increase federal funding for HIV treatments. He will fight to make sure qualified LGBTQ+ families are not discriminated against by the adoption or foster care
(11) have come forward with sexual misconduct allegations against President Trump since the 1970s. He has been accused of unwanted touching, violent groping, and rape. Adult film star Stormy Daniels claims she was threatened
(12) with physical violence to keep quiet about her affair with Trump. Additionally, Trump has made many disparaging and sexist statements
(13) throughout the years, including, “I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait...You can do anything. Grab ’em by the pussy. You can do anything”.
(14) have alleged that Biden had touched them in ways that made them feel uncomfortable. While these interactions include inappropriate touching and kissing, seven of the women stated his behavior did not amount to amount to sexual harassment or assault. Biden responded
(15), "Social norms are changing, I understand that, and I've heard what these women are saying". One of the accusers, Tara Reade
(16), has stated that Biden repeatedly harassed her and sexually assaulted her in a Senate building in 1993.
Donald Trump has appointed and promoted many officials holding extreme misogynist and/or anti-LGBT views. Trump once joked
(17) about Mike Pence, “Don’t ask that guy [about gay rights]—he wants to hang them all!”. Senior White House Adviser Stephen Miller
(18) has been called a white supremacist by his Breitbart coworkers. Two-thirds of Trump's judicial picks have explicitly anti-LGBT records, and some belong to organizations that have been designated as hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Center
Biden has released plans to protect the LGBTQ+ community from harassment and life-threatening situations. He has pledged to invest in teen suicide prevention programs, fund the LGBTQ Youth Homelessness Prevention Initiative
(20), and the double the amount of counseling available in schools. Biden will put a federal ban on conversion therapy, and move to ban people who have been convicted of a misdemeanor hate crime from purchasing or possessing a firearm.