During his career, Trump participated in housing and employment practices which have prevented Black families from achieving economic security. The Justice Department investigated and sued Trump Management for discriminating
(1) against Black renters. They saw a recurring pattern where Black rental applicants were turned away, while whites inquiring about the same apartments were offered leases.
Joe Biden understands that systemic racism has prevented Black Americans from building wealth in this country. Joe Biden plans to invest $640 billion
in affordable housing, triple Title I school
(3) funding, bolster
(4) federal funding for historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs), and will work to eliminate
(5). bias in housing appraisement. (5) Biden
will also offer
(6) tax credits to small businesses to help employees create retirement plans.
The Trump administration has worked to disassemble protections for victims of discrimination. Trump revoked
(7) a series of rules enacted by the Obama administration to help reform police departments accused of rampant abuses and civil rights violations. The Trump administration also abandoned
(8) the Smart on Crime Initiative, which worked to reduce jail time for non-violent and low-level drug offenses. Smart on Crime had helped reduce the nation’s incarceration rate by 8.4%
(9), and the crime rate by 14.6%
Joe Biden does not support defunding the police; he has come out strongly in support of the “urgent need for reform”
(11). These reforms
(12) include a federal ban on police chokeholds, a new federal police oversight commission, new national standards for use of force by police, increased data collection by local law enforcement, and more power for the Department of Justice (DOJ) to investigate local police departments. Biden has also stated that he will reverse
(13) Trump's limitations on the DOJ to investigate unlawful/unconstitutional policing, and refund
(14) the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
Leadership on Social Justice
Trump's campaign has been based
(15) on racial divisiveness, and he has refused to disavow purveyors of hate. After the death of a protestor in Charlottesville, Trump called marching Neo-nazis “very fine people”
(16), and has retweeted
(17) at least 145 accounts that have pushed conspiratorial or racist statements. And in the ten days following his election, 900
(18) hate incidents occurred; in nearly 40%
(19) of those incidents the perpetrators explicitly invoked the president-elect’s name or his campaign slogans.
The Trump Administration has subjected communities of color across the country to higher levels of cancer-causing pollution. They have gutted
(23) protections on our nation's drinking water sources, and eased
(24) regulations on coal ash and mercury pollution, among countless
(25) other moves disproportionately
(26) harming communities of color. Trump also proposed eliminating
(27) the EPA's Environmental Justice office, which works to protect vulnerable populations from environmental harm.
The Biden administration will work to revitalize the economy and lead the global transition to equitable sustainability. Biden has committed
(28) to directing federal funds to disadvantaged communities in. order to end pollution and toxic waste sites, create mitigation strategies, and rebuild from disaster in "just and equitable ways
" (29). Biden will also make sure low-income communities have preference
(30) for receiving the Clean Economy Revolution grants.